Unless you’ve been living under a rock, it’s safe to assume you know about the widespread power outages occurring in many U.S. states as a result of a polar vortex and plunging winter temperatures. States like Texas are seeing snow, and if that doesn’t allude to a catastrophic environmental problem, I don’t know what does. An estimated three million Americans are currently without power, and with many cities and states ill-equipped to deal with freezing temperatures, people are struggling to stay warm.
A number of inventive people seem to be making mini heaters out of terracotta flower pots in order to stay warm. Placing candles on a terracotta plant tray and flipping the raised pot itself upside-down to act as a sort of lamp, the heat from the flames is apparently creating a small amount of heat to warm up a small area. Using natural candles (aka ones made of beeswax) is recommended. If lighting any candles in your home, be sure that they are on a hard, flat surface and that the flame is far enough away from any flammable items. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
Remember, no matter what you do, it is imperative that you don’t rely on a gas stove to generate heat in your home. Anything that burns fuel indoors without proper ventilation puts you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning – the silent killer that is a bigger risk than freezing temperatures. If you absolutely need to get inside your car and run it to warm up, make sure you are not in your garage, and are instead outside in a driveway with the windows closed. Also be sure that your tailpipe isn’t being blocked by snow or ice.